Thursday, April 7, 2011

Noelle's least favorite part of the park was the feeding area for the baby goats. They did have a sign that said Warning: Goats can be aggressive but these little guys are smaller than Noelle! I bought a little bottle of milk while Al took Noelle into the feeding area. She did fine at first, but then one of the stupid goats got himself stuck in the turnstyle and I couldn't get in, so I asked Al for a little goat removal service and he came over to help. That was our BIG mistake. When he took those few steps away from Noelle, a goat decided to see how she might taste. I looked up from the turnstyle situation just in time to see a baby goat with all of the hair on the side of Noelle's head (and probably her ear, too) in this little goat's mouth. Noelle was stunned, but quickly starting to freak out. So Al ran to rescue her (I'm so glad the goat surrendered easily). Once we got her calm, we went to the other side where it was quieter, hoping for a less aggressive goat so Noelle could feed it. We found a little one that seemed tame, but once it saw the bottle, it was immediately hysterical and drained it in about 0.2 seconds. And then was joined by several friends and we found ourselves surrounded. One of the goats latched onto my shirt and wouldn't let go, even when I stood up. I thought he was going to tear my shirt! Al had to come pry it off me. Don't they feed these goats?!?

Before we went into the feeding area for the goats, I saw a little (human) kid with a shirt that said I survived feeding the goats at Grant's Farm and thought that was kind of silly. But now I get it. So parents, beware!! I also realize just how insulting it was probably initially intended to be when children started to be called 'kids' by adults. A long time ago, I read in C.S. Lewis' Letters to Children (really excellent book, by the way) that some child hated to be called a 'kid' and Lewis said he understood completely. I was so confused at the time because it is such an acceptable term today, but now I understand. I understand better than I would have liked!

Here's a crazy little video of our experience with the goats (in case you don't believe us). Al had to rescue me at one point, so the camera got a little crazy. Hope it doesn't make you too dizzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment